Monday, February 18, 2013

Macrobiotic Grocery Shopping

Thank goodness for this 3-day weekend.  My husband and I (with our pup of course) visited all of our family on Saturday!  We hadn't been to their homes since Christmas so it was really nice coming to town!  We went to lunch with my parents where I splurged on sweet potato fries and a veggie burger.  Then we spent the afternoon walking around the mall with my Mom because she wanted to find a 30th birthday present for my husband (it's in one week!!!)
In the car - on our way!
 
Then we hopped over to my mother-in-law's and spent the afternoon and into the evening catching up with her, my sister-in-law and nephew!  We had lots to talk about and eventually we ordered Chinese food; broccoli and tofu for me!
 
We made the decision to drive back home Saturday night and thankfully we did because my poor husband woke up Sunday morning with a horrible stomach bug.  I'm feeling BLAH but hoping that full recovery is on the way.
 
I was still able to go grocery shopping yesterday so lots of healthy foods are in our home to get us back on track!
 
YUM
 
The Shopping List
 
(I did not buy all the below food items yesterday, but they are items that I either already have at home or plan to buy very soon.  Keep in mind you do not need to buy everything each week.  Once you do an initial shop, a lot of items will last a while.  And you can also gradually incorporate new food items into your home!
 
  I took a lot of the items on this shopping list from The MILF DietWhat a fantastic book - absolutely worth buying!!!)
 
Grains
Brown Rice
Millet
Hulled barley
Quinoa
Whole oats
 
Beans (Dried & Canned)
Black beans
Pinto beans
Garbanzo beans
Kidney beans
Lentils
Tofu
Tempeh
 
Vegetables (Organic if possible)
Collard Greens
Kale
Carrots
Onions
Ginger
Garlic
Celery
Sweet potatoes
 
Seasonings
Sea Salt
Shoyu (soy sauce)
Miso
Mirin
Brown rice vinegar
 
Oils
Olive oil
Sesame oil
Safflower oil
Coconut oil
 
Fruits
Apples
 
Grain Products
Whole wheat flour
Whole wheat noodles
Mochi
Rolled Oats
Udon Noodles
 
Sea Vegetables
Nori
Wakame
Kombu
Agar agar
 
Nuts & Seeds
Sesame Seeds
Sunflower Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Almonds
Walnuts
Chia Seeds
 
Faux Dairy
Almond Milk
Soy Milk
Vegenaise
 
 Sweeteners
Rice Syrup
Maple Syrup
 
Cereals
Crispy rice cereal
 
Beverages
Kukicha tea
 
There are many more food items that I haven't included, but this is a great start!  Your first shopping trip might be pricey, but really it's not like that each week.  We bought a 15 pound bag of rice for $30 that has lasted us over a month.  Oils last for months depending on your use of them.  I do not need to buy seeds and nuts each week - they are more biweekly. 
 
A normal grocery bill is between $75-$100 each week for my husband and I.  This is significantly less than when I wasn't vegan/macrobiotic. 
 
What items do you think you could incorporate in your life from this list?  Anything you recommend that I'm missing?


5 comments:

  1. Everything looks great! We are practically down to ketchup and frozen peas haha so I so want to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shopping list! I'm so bad at remembering to bring a list with me hah.
    I just usually wing it, which is not good for the wallet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always see things that aren't on the list, but suddenly they seem delicious and I must have them! Like tonight stopping in the grocery store at 5:30 on the way home from work before dinner - not smart!

      Delete
  3. Dang girl!! Will you do my grocery shopping?? :) Looks like you got a great loot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I love grocery shopping!!! Maybe just because I love eating good food so much haha

    ReplyDelete