Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Medicinal Soup

Miso soup is a Macrobiotic food that I should be (and I'm working towards) incorporating much more in my diet.  It's a super food!  I took this recipe from The MILF Diet.  Again, another wonderful book that I would recommend to all of you!  The author, Jessica Porter, writes in such an entertaining manner while teaching so much!  Jessica describes Miso soup as "incredibly medicinal...contains natural probiotics, alkalizes the blood, and even has a tumor-blocking element..." 

How could I not try it after reading that?!


Here's what you need:


Directions (Taking from The MILF Diet)

This recipes serves 4 - I third the recipe when making it just for myself.

1. Soak Shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 10 minutes.  Drain and reserve soaking liquid. Discard tough stems.  Slice caps into thin strips.

2.  In saucepan, bring 4 cups water, wakame, shiitakes, and soaking liquid to a boil.  Add the daikon and simmer for 3 more minutes.

3. Remove about 1/4 cup of the stock and add miso to it (in separate cup).  With a cup and spoon, puree the miso until it is smoothly integrated into the stock.

4. Pour the miso back into the soup.  Simmer over very low heat for 3 more minutes.  Do not let the soup come to a boil as this will overcook the live enzymes.

5.  Serve in individual bowls and decorate with sliced scallions.
 
I tried wakame (dried seaweed) for the first time this morning!  I had never included it in the soup before.  Sea vegetables are another wonderfully nutritious item that I plan to add  more of in my diet.  The only food items that are truly mandatory for miso soup is water and miso - it can be that simply, but the other ingredients on here make it more flavorful and extra nutritious.  You can also add in whatever other veggies you're craving.  This morning I added some onion and kale.
 
Once I've mastered making this soup, I plan to have it with breakfast 3-5 times a week.  I'm not in love with the taste of miso soup (yet!) but I know it may be an acquired taste for me.
 

Note, that homemade Miso soup is much different than the miso soup you would get at a lot of Japanese restaurants (which are loaded with other chemicals).

Have you ever made Miso soup?  Would you give it a try?

3 comments:

  1. I have never made miso soup, but I LOVE miso so I would absolutely give this soup a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to learn how to use miso more often - what do you do with it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love miso soup! And we have a couple of the Miso Master tubs of miso, it's really good stuff– I like their chickpea miso and the mellow white miso. Last week my husband and I had some really good miso soup at Real Food Daily when we were visiting Pasadena. We hit up that restaurant several times: I only wanted settling food before my competition and macrobiotic-influenced organic vegan fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete