Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Let the Month of Being a Superhero Begin

Hi!


I wanted to share with you my journey that’s at the beginning, so it’s a great place to start and tell you about it.  I’ve been following a plant-based diet for all of 2013.  My journey really started in the fall of 2009, but it was a back-and-forth roller coaster kind of deal with meat and dairy so January 2013 is when it really stuck.  I have not had any meat this year, but dairy has slipped in sporadically;  no more than a handful of times.  I was sticking to a Macrobiotic diet at the beginning of 2013, but it transformed more into just a vegan diet as the year wore on.  Two things I love:  my sweets and floury products.


I just had my meeting with the Macrobiotic Counselor last Monday - ordered grains, Miso, Umeboshi plums, sunflower seeds, etc. from the Kushi Store online, and in the process of tweaking my diet.  And I’m crazy excited about it!  I really really really want to see what it would feel like to eat super clean.  By that I mean no sugar, flour, coffee, processed foods for the next month.  For me processed foods refers to items like Kind bars/Luna bars/Lara bars, potato chips, coconut milk ice cream, most cereals, quick oats, peanut butter, and soy milk (which I used for baking).  I will still be consuming items occasionally like rice noodles, frozen veggies, almond butter, Ezekiel bread, desserts with brown rice syrup, and organic canned beans.  Basically, the top foods in my life will be whole grains, vegetables (sea vegetables as well), and plant-based proteins.  Kukicha tea will be my primary beverage and I’ll have Miso soup (close to daily).


Now I know I eat quite healthy, but I’m interested in seeing how my body would react if I were to eat super clean.  I’ll share with you my Macrobiotic diet throughout this month.  Noticed I’ve placed this month conveniently before the holidays, because let’s face it, vegan desserts will be flying Thanksgiving to Christmas.  I plan to stick to this for a month though and plan to continue after that, but probably not as strictly.  Because there’s no life without dessert or coffee, so of course this isn’t a forever thing to stay away from all sweets and flour (I love my baked goods and pancakes too much), but I just want to know how it feels to kind of clean all that gunk out.

Lastly, I’ll be avoiding Nightshade vegetables which include potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers.  They are high in alkaloids which can cause inflammation in the joints.  Because I want to go Superhero clean, I’ll be staying away from these for this month.  Oh and there will be absolutely no calorie counting.  This is all about eating happy healthy foods. I’ll eat as much as my heart desires.

So this is my meal plan will look like for the next month on my Macrobiotic diet.  I’m throwing in a lot of recipes I have yet to try, but this will inspire me…


Breakfasts:

Miso soup
Leafy greens – steamed kale and collard greens in particular
Grains (typically leftover brown rice - sprinkled with sunflower seeds/almonds/or jam (just the fruit itself kind of jam!)
Scrambled Tofu

Recipes to try:  Millet and Sweet Vegetable Porridge, Hot Polenta, Millet, and Corn Cereal, Pan-Fried Mochi, Mochi Waffles Drizzled with Lemon-Walnut Rice Syrup and tempeh bacon

Lunches:  Lunch will most likely always be leftover from dinner the night before.  I work in an office away from home so I cannot cook at lunch.  So I’ll jump to dinners now because that’s where lunches will come from.

Dinners:

Recipes to try:  Quinoa with Basil and Pine Nuts, Tuna (tempeh) Salad Sandwich, Polenta Casserole with Seitan, Ginger Pasta with Zucchini

I realize this makes going out to eat a bit tough, but restaurants are so often accommodating.  And I can definitely get a solid meal at my favorite place, Chipotle.

This is just a few of the recipes I’ll be making all of which I took from the book, The Kind Diet, because it’s the book that encouraged me to embrace a vegan diet four years ago and it’s about time I get through the recipes.  Also, I’ll be taking recipes from Eat & Run by Scott Jurek, and The Milf Diet by Jessica Porter.  Woah!  There we go.  I’ve put it out there and now it’s time to take action.

Lastly, please remember this is all my personal decision and just a fun little adventure I want to share with you.  I’m in no way saying you should do it too.  Ok, let the adventure begin – officially starting tomorrow, October 17th, but tonight we’re getting Chipotle for dinner so really it can start then!  And this has nothing to do with any of this, but I’m getting my hair done tonight so I’ll have a new hairdo as well ;)


What’s your favorite clean eating recipe?

9 comments:

  1. Big changes! I'm super interested to hear how it goes. I'm not sure I'll ever have the same discipline as you but I love being introduced to new diets and recipes so keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh I definitely won't be perfect at it, but I'm inspired to give it a whirl! Thanks for following! :)

      Delete
  2. Pumped to see what you do with your hair :) I cried when i cut my hair but after a week I learned to love it and I like it much better now. Can't wait to read about your month. How are your knees doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut a few inches off which seems so much shorter to me, but hardly anyone noticed sooo it must not look much different. My knees are definitely doing better (thank you!) but I haven't run yet...making sure I'm completely healthy from having walking pneumonia. Lots of dog walking!

      Delete
  3. I'm totally intrigued and can't wait to hear how things go for you! I always try to do month long challenges, but a week is about as long as I last (if that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had a decaf Americano yesterday so I'm definitely not off to a perfect start haha! I'm going to do my best though b/c I'd really like to experience the buzz of clean eatings! =)

      Delete
  4. Wow - good for you girl! I'm so interested to follow your journey this month! You are going to do great :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, Love Love your blog. I've been stumbling around with my attempt at macrobiotic and your article has recharged me...so thank you! At our health food store in Portland, I found Miso made with chickpeas for those of us with soy allergy/sensitivity. It's called Miso Master, Chickpea Miso, Traditional Miso Paste...url: great-eastern-sun.com It's beautiful and oh so tasty too. I was stoked to find this and I hope it helps others of you find alternatives to soy miso. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete