Tuesday, November 19, 2013

That Superhero Month and My Vegan Reflection

Hi there!

Just over a month ago I did a post about starting my super clean month of eating before the holidays, and then I never mentioned it again that whole month.  I’m sorry!  I know I totally dropped the ball on keeping you up-to-date on how the month went.  So how did it go?  Really well.  So well in fact that I can’t believe it passed so fast and I kind of forgot about it during the month as it just happened naturally.  Something I realized is that I gravitate towards foods that make me feel my best now.  

I didn’t end up giving up coffee like I had planned; however, I mostly drank decaf, so maybe that counts for something.  Also, I had plenty of desserts, but I steered away from white sugar and white flour, so I did well there.  What I’ve come to notice is that those things (white sugar and flour) just aren’t in my eating regimen anymore.  They just don’t fit in with all the other fantastic options that are just way cooler (like brown rice syrup, maple sugar, maple syrup).


It’s been a year since I first dived into macrobiotics and really made an effort to stick to whole foods, and what a magnificent learning experience it’s been!  I think of how I was eating a year ago – not an entirely plant-based diet – and I compare it with now, and I’m totally impressed with myself.  Is that ok to say?  Yes, it is because I think so many of us in this healthy living community should be so proud of the efforts we make each and every day to better ourselves, and in turn the inspiration we provide for others.




I want to do more typical food day posts with you because I think it’s important to demonstrate how simple a vegan diet can be.  It can be hard at first figuring out what exactly to eat.  I know that when I first embraced a vegan diet 4 years ago I jumped in completely and I really didn’t know what I was doing.  Therefore, it took a while of eating vegan (but I wasn't eating everything I should have been and too much of things that were no good for me,) and then a year of uncertainty about a vegan lifestyle for me, to then eventually realize that yes I am a happier, thoughtful, peaceful, and more inspired me by sticking to a plant-based diet.



Long story short, it’s been a journey and of course it will continue to be one.  So on that note, here's an example of a typical food day for me filled with vegan yums...

 


Breakfast:  Slice (or 2) of Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain toast topped with Tofutti and strawberry jam  and a big mug of tea (yerba matte, kukicha, or Jasmine white tea recently)

Snack:  Apple and/or celery with peanut butter

Lunch:  Tofurky club with a side of greens, butternut squash and cauliflower curry soup, and ½ lemon poppy seed vegan cupcake for dessert (insane!)

Snack:  Decaf soy latte

Dinner:  Leftover rice noodle, tofu and broccoli stir fry

Dessert:  So Delicious No Sugar Added Vanilla ice cream (one of my favorites!)

Isn’t food just amazing?!  Sticking to plant-based diet is really so simple once you get the hang of it.  This past year I really made an effort to explore new recipes, more variety, and make sure I was getting the proper nutrition.  It’s been a blast.  It’s really so much fun to see the power of food at work and experience the beauty within yourself that shines through from it.

What’s your favorite veggie dish?

5 comments:

  1. Glad that the month went well - it is great when it becomes such a habit that you totally forget it is going on!

    Caring about ingredients is an amazing thing - I made a dish with whole wheat flour rather than white and the flavors just popped ... I use ground flax to bread chicken, and there are just so many ways we can take junk ingredients in everyday cooking at put in stuff that actually adds value to our diet.

    I love black bean sweet potato chili ... haven't made it since spring, but as the chill sets in I know it is coming soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite veggie dish right now are these spicy Brussel sprouts I've been making, I'm addicted!

    -Elise @ 9toFit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that month went by quickly! It's amazing how much your diet can affect your whole life. For me, it's meant letting go of the reigns a bit and trusting that my body knows what it wants. Lately that's been all the carbs but the veggies are coming back, mostly in salad form :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see more of your day to day eats. You looks so cute with yoru glasses! Glad to hear last month went good. I"ve really cut out sugar and as much wheat as possible in my diet. It really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't eating vegan amazing? Love it. Makes me feel so much healthier from the inside out.

    Is that a Wegmans veggie broth I spy? My favorite grocery store that I miss so much!

    ReplyDelete