Sunday, September 15, 2013

Apple Crisp that's Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Sugar-Free (oh and Delicious!)

Hi!

 
Last night I was trying to find an Apple Crisp recipe that was sugar-free.  I eventually landed on this recipe and it is nothing short of amazing.  The only difference in my recipe is that I used Gluten-Free Multi Purpose Flour rather than Almond Flour in the topping (because I knew I could use the Gluten-Free Multi Purpose Flour for other things soon).

Beth gets complete credit for this recipe - thanks to her!  I just simply made it and enjoyed it sooo much!  My recommendation is that you too should make this recipe as soon as possible.  Three things grabbed my attention immediately - it was vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free.  Also, the recipe used date sugar (there's been a package of it in my cupboard for a few months just dying to be used) and coconut oil (another item just sitting patiently in my cupboard).

 
 
Need some more convincing?
 
Filling:

 4 cups of peeled and sliced apples (I used 6 small apples)
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Topping:

 1/2 cup almond flour (I used Gluten-Free Multi Purpose Flour)
1/2 cup certified gluten-free oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/3 cup date sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup (1 for the topping and 1/2 to drizzle over the top)
1/3 cup coconut oil (make sure it is somewhat solid)
 
 
Yes, this was today's lunch.  No guilt.  I'm definitely going to have to go back for seconds.  Although, I can't eat the whole pan, half is for my husband who has serious will power because he just left for a run knowing that it would be waiting for his return.
 
Other news - I ran today - just a mile.  There was tightness on my IT band, but no true pain.  I stopped after a mile and decided to hop on the elliptical instead.  I've got PT again tomorrow so I'm definitely going to ask if she thinks I should run through tightness - like does it get better?  Anyways, I'm so grateful for the elliptical right now...
 

 
And of course the foam roller is still my BFF.
 
 
Ok, time to get some more Apple Crisp!  Have a great rest of your weekend :)
 
Do you prefer apple crisp or apple pie?

12 comments:

  1. CRISP!!! And this crisp looks to die for! Pinning the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide. I adore warm, gooey, cinnamon-y, cooked apple-y goodness in all its forms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! The top of an apple crisp is the PERFECT place to use date sugar! Have to love a recipe that's sweetened with natural sugars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple Crisp for sure! Love that topping. Love that this is vegan, gluten and sugar free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always looking for vegan desserts :) I've never tried date sugar. Now I'm curious.

    I haven't had apple pie or crisp in years and I'm not even sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love this recipe! Hope you get to enjoy some apple crisp this fall :)

      Delete
  6. What is sugar-free about date sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just ground dates, not white sugar. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  7. Sorry, but I feel as though this is a little but of a misleading recipe. Definitely appreciate the gluten free aspect, but nonetheless sugar is sugar, still gives that unpleasant glucose spike unfortunately! I would say is "refined sugar free" but definitely not "sugar free." I definitely don't mean to criticize, and I actually will use the recipe substituting liquid stevia as the sweetener, as it a very good 0 calorie natural sweetener without that typical bitter powder stevia aftertaste. Thanks so much for a great and easy recipe! :) really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I definitely was just referring to white sugar here that was being omitted. I found that I felt better after eating this with the date sugar (dehydrated ground dates), I felt better than when I consume white sugar. Sorry for misleading you, but I think you'll enjoy this recipe :)

      Delete
    2. Oh no problem at all! I'm really glad you posted it on here! I ended up using some liquid stevia extract, and I think it turned out really well too! Absolutely LOVED the recipe and I'll be making it again very soon, thank you very, very much! :) it was a huge hit! And I think your right, the date sugar probably is more usable and digestible than the refined white sugar for the body! Ps. Love your URL title, so cute!

      Delete
  8. Excellent post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?

    I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Thanks!

    my blog post; nikon d7000

    ReplyDelete