Monday, November 18, 2013

Butternut Squash with Spinach

Hello Monday.


I did not want to get out of bed this morning.  For some reason I thought it was still Sunday and was entire confused by the 6AM alarm.  It was a very nice weekend over here filled with raking leaves, Chipotle, errands, Starbucks, Almost Famous, dog walking, present wrapping, Vegan CafĂ©, reading… And I made one of my favorite dishes last night:  Butternut Squash with Spinach.  I was introduced to this recipe when my Dad made it for Thanksgiving a few years ago.  It was my first experience with really liking squash.  I didn’t grow up loving squash, but butternut squash is now one of my favorites.


Ok, I still feel half awake right now, so let me get on with the recipe before I ramble on.  This recipe is courtesy of Wegmans.

You will need:

1 Butternut Squash, cut in 1-inch cubes
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups (or however much you like) of spinach (or baby spinach)
¾ cup dried Cranberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss squash and onions with olive oil in large bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. 

Arrange in single layer on large baking sheet. Roast 25- 30 min, until tender and brown. Remove from oven.

Toss squash with spinach, and dried cranberries, and serve!


I would say that this recipe makes 4  healthy portions (probably 3 for me because I like a big bowl of it!).  The best part is that I have leftovers which will be fantastic for lunches this week.

Enjoy!

Does today feel like a Monday to you too?

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! I love BNS roasted with rosemary and onions and thrown over a salad. It's perfect, healthy and seasonal!

    Today is definitely a Monday. The weekend can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cranberries really sound like they would make it a great holiday dish. We're all set up for Thanksgiving, but I might try this one for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete