Friday, August 30, 2013

4 Weeks Until Marathon - Knee Pain - Need Advice

Hello! Ok, so this morning I faced the biggest running challenge of my Marathon Training. I set out to do 20-22 miles, but only ended up accomplishing 12.5 miles. 

Let me set the stage a bit because I need all the advice I can get. 

Two weeks ago I ran 20.5 miles (that was 6 weeks until the marathon)

Last weekend I ran 7 miles with 20 minutes on the elliptical prior (5 weeks until the marathon)

Today I set out to run my peak mileage of 20-22 miles (4 weeks until the marathon) and then I would begin tapering

The next two long runs were planned to be 12 miles, 8 miles, and then the marathon, BUT then this morning happened. What happened? 

Well, my knees starting acting up for the first time. Now I’ve dealt with minor knee pain throughout the process of training. It’s on the outside of my knees, but never anything major. Never any sort of pain that has interfered with my running or hasn’t gone away after a day or so. This was different because I felt the tightness on the outside of my knees from the beginning. When I stopped at mile 5 (for like 20 seconds) to refill my water bottles, when I started up again my knees were SO tight.

This was completely new to me especially because I had only run 5 miles.  

Throughout the next 7 miles I experienced some pain, but mostly great tightness on the outside of each of my knees. Usually it was on one knee more than the other. I stopped at mile 12.5 because I felt a pang and my knees were just so tight. I then walked close to a mile home and walking felt absolutely fine. It’s only when I’m running.

Now, I’ve done my research. A six week taper is not ideal, but I could just continue on with my plan (12 next weekend, 8 the following). And of course, that’s if my knees feel better.

I’m hoping/praying that with lots of foam rolling, icing, stretching over the next two days, which I plan to rest, that they will feel better. I feel a million emotions right now because well my training has been so great - tough work, but without knee pain. Aside from a few tough runs in the beginning, my last 20 and 18 mile were wonderful.

Also, note that I took this run this morning much slower – 30 seconds slower per mile giving me an average pace of 9:30. My last 20 mile run was a pace of 9:00.

I’m trying to stay very positive and not dwell on this, which is crazy difficult to do especially because I’ve worked so hard and I really was so excited for the run this morning.

It was a very enjoyable, easy run, and I know I would have had no problem running 20 miles had it not been for my knee issues.

Ok, please offer any advice you’ve got. Have you dealt with pain on the outside of your knee(s) before? 

What did you do? I’m 4 weeks away from the marathon… 

Also, is a six week taper crazy?

Thanks for listening!!! :)

14 comments:

  1. First- I am so so so sorry! I wish I had advise for you but I've never had knee pain and haven't run a full :(. Hopefully some other marathoners will chime in here and let you know the deal. Sending you lots of positive, healing thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love positive healing thoughts so thank you!!! Keep sending them =)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your knee pain. I can't imagine how frustrated you must feel.
    I'm not a long distance runner so I can't offer advice from that perspective but I work in healthcare and have seen a ton of knee injuries.
    If I were you, I wouldn't push things if the pain continues. A marathon is a great accomplishment but it's not worth a lifelong injury. Running is so hard on your knees so please be careful.
    That said, I hope the pain magically subsides for you before race day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Sarah :) I'm definitely going to rest for a few days and take it from there.

      Delete
  3. I'd say check your shoes - sure not 'ideal' time to change them to new ones but if the foam/support is starting to not be as good that could definitely be adding to the knee pain.

    Second - I just completed my first marathon and it is all a big mental game but state to yourself "Trust your training" they have it set up like that for a reason and you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jade! Congrats on your marathon! :)

      Delete
  4. NOTE: I AM NOT YOUR DOCTOR.

    But - When someone says "pain outside the knee" (usually closer to the top than the bottom), my first thought is an IT Band issue. The IT band is a strip of muscle-then-connective-tissue that runs from your hip and attaches on the outside of the knee. When things get tight in the hips (a problem women often experience), the IT band can be one place that pain manifests. Have you ever had problems with your IT bands before?

    IF the issue is the IT band (although this is a reasonable suggestion even if it doesn't help your knee), stretch your hips in every way you know how. Use a tennis ball mushed against the wall to dig into the area just behind your hip bone. Foam roll the outside of your thigh (lie on the side on the roller). If these things hurt - and if doing them gives some relief/release to your "knee" - then you may have an IT band issue.

    If so, stretching & resting are the best things you can do. This is an issue I (and many of my female runners) struggle with - so drop me a line if you have any questions. Good luck. [And don't panic - you did a good thing in stopping. If you can get the discomfort down, then I think you'll be all set for the marathon.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the Capris recommendation! I will definitely be looking into them. Today I rested and foam rolled and plan to do the same tomorrow, things did feel a bit better but it's hard to tell because I'm not running... Thanks again for your advice :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much Holly! I think it is IT band issue... I went to Fleet Feet tonight and they have me some great foam rolling exercise that helped loosen everything up. I'm going to take a few days off, rest, ice and roll lots, and see where I stand Monday. I so appreciate your advice!!!! I have dealt with this in the past but over 3 years ago so it came out of the blue. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan. I also suggest experimenting with heat/heating pad instead of ice. Maybe some ice in the knee area, if it's feeling especially inflamed or sore - but really, you want the whole band to RELAX - and some people find that ice is really counter-productive to relaxing. Instead, applying some mild heat before stretching may actually help more. Experiment and see.

      I totally support a few days off - running through an IT band issue = a BIGGER IT band issue, most of the time. However, if you can get it back to "agreeable", you might look into serious compression capris. [Not like Moving Comfort "these are tight" capris, but rather something like CWX, which are "squeeze myself into them" capris.] The pricepoint is a bit high for CWX, but I really credit the compression and stability they provided with helping me stay running safely immediately after my IT band issue.

      Good luck!!

      Delete
    2. My advice was literally going to be: "maybe you should ask Holly?" so I'm glad it worked it out ;-)

      Hope those knees rest up and stop being a nuisance! You deserve to OWN that marathon!

      Delete
    3. That is why it is so utterly frustrating, I want to own the marathon so bad! I guess I will just rest and foam roll and see where it takes me! Thank you !!!

      Delete
  6. Oh noooo Em! Take it easy! I'm not expert but my knee pain also resides on the outside and it is definitely IT band related! It sounds like Holly gave you some great advice though. Sending you good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm hoping that rest helps...as well as good vibes :)

      Delete