Sunday, December 8, 2013
Decorating and Chocolate Fudgy Oatmeal Cookies
It officially became Christmas around our house this weekend. We got our tree, decorated it (it fell down during the night), and then we redecorated it the next day. Minor detail. It looked better after second decoration anyways ;) The dogs got some early presents. We were in the giving spirit.
This morning I made 6 dozen Chocolate Fudgy Oatmeal Cookies from the book, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. I started making these cookies four years ago and they never get old. Normally I add raisins or dried cherries to the mix, but I kept them more basic this time because we were filling tins with them to use in a cookie exchange.
Now keep in my mind that while these cookies are vegan, they are definitely not a health food. But hey, I wasn't trying to make these healthy. Just sugary sweet! I, of course, had to test taste one after they were done at 9:30am. I considered it my second breakfast.
(Makes 2.5 dozen)
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 & 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
2/3 cup nondairy milk (I used vanilla almond)
2/3 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips (vegan)
1 cup dried cherries, chopped, or raisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two baking sheets.
2. In a bowl, stir together oats, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In separate bowl, beat together sugar, flax seeds, and milk until smooth. Add oil and extracts and beat until well mixed.
4. Fold in half the dry mixture and beat, and then fold in the other half. Just before fully combined, add the chocolate chips (and raisins/cherries if using).
5. Drop 2 tbsp. of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes until cookies are firm and risen.
6. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheets and then ENJOY!
I then packed the cookies up - 5 to 7 in each tin - to give as gifts in the cookie exchange. Happy holiday season!
How's your weekend?