Saturday, February 16, 2013

Challenge Accepted!

The one and only...Barney Stinson

I'm a HUGE How I Met Your Mother fan.  My husband and I started watching all the reruns about a year ago.  I love the show because I'm bound to laugh (a lot) and I'm a twenty-something who gets a kick out of watching other twenty-somethings (now thirty-somethings) figure out life.  I think each of us can relate to one character on some level or another.  If you need a good laugh, give this show a try!

What I want to talk about actually has no relation to the show, but when I thought of following the Macrobiotic Diet more strictly, literally my first thought was a Barney like reaction of CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Watch here to understand!

I first heard of the Macrobiotic Diet a few years ago, but it was so distant to me like a farfetched idea that I could not even fathom following it so it didn't stick.  But now, I'm a little older and I have had a few years to process with a deeper appreciation for the power of food. 

What is the Macrobiotic Diet?

Macro meaning "long"
and bios meaning "life"


That's pretty awesome.

It includes:

Whole Grains - brown rice, millet, quinoa, whole oats, barley, spelt
Vegetables - kale, collard greens, onions, squash, carrots, parsnips
Proteins - plant-based direction, but not exclusively - beans such as kidney, pinto, adzuki, garbanzo, lentils as well as tofu, tempeh (some like to include white-fleshed fish)
Sea Vegetables - nori, wakame, arame
Natural Sweets - rice syrup, barley malt, mochi 
Fermented foods - unpasteurized pickles, soy sauce, miso

Above I listed some of the food included just to give you a start.  There is so much more!  I plan to follow the diet with my vegan base, but that is just my choice and not required by any means.  The food should be:

*Organic as much as possible
*Traditionally or naturally processed

The No's -

No sugar (I'll talk more about this later in the week...believe me, sugar is sludge)
No dairy
No white flour
No chemicals or other harmful ingredients

Basically super clean delicious eating!

Intrigued?!

Here are some great books for your reference - they'll get you even more excited and provide you a wealth of information.  This is life changing stuff.

The Macrobiotic Path to Total Health
The MILF Diet (read lots of it last night!)
Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics

I have lots more to share, but I think it's best to do it gradually.  For now, I just wanted to let you know that this is the path I will be journeying.  I've been eating about 70% macrobiotic and on the days where I stick to it, I feel on top of the world.  I'm so excited to take it all the way and I hope I've at the very least peaked your interest.  On that note...



What do you think?  Does it interest you?  Have you heard of macrobiotics? 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I can't wait to hear how it goes! Are you missing things? I know it's awful for you, but I just can't imagine my life without sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I love sugar too!! But there are lots of great substitutes! I'll be doing lots of macrobiotic dessert posts. Today I was oddly craving mac&cheese...should have bought some vegan cheese when I went shopping haha!

    ReplyDelete