Thursday, July 4, 2013

Run Chat

Happy 4th of July! 
 
Is it crazy sweaty dripping humid by you too?  That is literally how I would describe my run.  I almost posted a picture of myself after running, but then thought why would I do that?!
 
 
I decided I'm going to do a Run Chat series where I choose a running quote and then talk about it a bit.  I love talking about running and hearing what other runners have to say so I thought this could be fun =)  I get emails from Runner's World with quotes from athletes, coaches, companies, etc. so these are not words of wisdom from me...just my sharing.
 
 
This morning I did my 5 mile run (sorry, my phone doesn't let me capture all 5 miles - mile 1 was a 8'53" pace).  I originally had a 10 mile race planned for today, but I decided against it.  I had a rough traveling day last Sunday and I didn't want to go push myself over the edge.  So I did my own run around my neighborhood and I'm planning for a 10 miler over the weekend.
 
I really was going at my max speed in the heat this morning.  I had a thought that I should have gotten up 2 hours earlier to run.  I went through at least 16 ounces of water on this run and a mocha gel.  And onto the thought of the day...
 
 
When I started running, I started dreaming. 
It couldn't be helped. 
The mind works as hard as the body
does during exercise.
 
I totally agree.  Running, especially at the end of college, got me dreaming about big things for myself.  I wanted to run a marathon.  I still want to run (without walking at all) a marathon! 
 
And I think running is as much a mental journey as it is physical.  My legs can be working fine and my breathing easy, but if mentally I'm having a rough day, that run is just as much a battle.  Running is not just a physical quest, for me anyways.
 
Ok, that's all I got today.  I hope you have a wonderful holiday (whether it's a holiday today for you or not), just enjoy the day!  I'm going to make a red, white, and blue protein shake of sunwarrior protein powder, strawberries, blueberries, almond milk, and of course some chia seeds just for extra added goodness.
 
Do you like running quotes for inspiration? 
What's your favorite fruit to put in a shake?

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your yellow socks!! That's dorky of me, I know, but I can't help it because yellow is my favorite color! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love yellow too!!! Such a happy color! :)

      Delete
  2. I've never used running quotes for inspiration before but I think I may start! I totally agree that sometimes it can be more of a mental game then physical. I think I am going to sign up for Runner's World emails right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they be really helpful and they get me thinking!!

      Delete
  3. I love Bart Yasso. My mind is always working when I'm running. I solve many problems out on the road :) I like this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is always working too on runs...do you ever get back from a run and not really remember what you thought about though? That happens to me!

      Delete