Monday, October 21, 2013

Rice Krispy Treats and Lots of Cooking

Hi!


Last weekend was full of cooking.  I woke up early Saturday morning and wanted to grocery shop.  I love going early on the weekends because (1) there are no crowds and (2) I can slowly make my way through the store without getting in anyone’s way.  Wegmans is so fantastic because they have an app that you can make your grocery list on.  You program in your store and it tells what aisle each item is in and how much it will cost.  It took a little while to build my list, but now it’s there forever and it was so helpful because I always forget that one important thing I need for a dish (like ginger last week) when I don’t have it written down.  So here’s what my groceries looked like.  I just love food.


First on Saturday I made vegan “egg” salad to go on Ezekiel bread.  I have had a recipe for years and I got a craving for it.  It was really tasty, but it satisfied my craving for probably the next year so I definitely made too much.  Oops.  And then I moved onto to a Black Soy Bean and Butternut Squash Stew.  It was crazy delicious and unique to me, but another type of dish that once I’ve had my fill, I don’t necessary want it again immediately.  Many leftovers of that too.  Thank goodness my hubby (and pups, if needed) will help eat that stew up.  The pups got a treat Saturday because I accidentally baked a spaghetti squash when I needed a delicata squash.  It was pure joy watching each of them eat their half of the squash in the yard.  Special treat for sure!  Moving on…and then on Sunday I made a vegetarian chili for dinner in the slow cooker.  I guess I was just on a role.  And then my husband decided to make a Rice Noodle Broccoli and Tofu stir fry for lunch on Sunday.  Needless to say, we’ve got plenty of leftovers to get us through the week ;)


But wait!  I started this post to tell you about the Rice Krispy Treats I made Sunday night.  Brown rice syrup is a magical sweetener that gives desserts a sweetness without making you go on the roller coaster sugar ride.  I love it.  And I knew I would never get through the week without some sort of dessert.  Therefore, enter these Rice Krispy Treats.

Ingredients:

Rice Krispies – whole box (I generally opt for organic brown rice krispies cereal, but these were in the house so they were the choice)
Brown Rice Syrup - entire jar
Almond Butter – ¾ cup
Vanilla – 1 tsp.
Cinnamon – 1 tsp.
Raisins – ½ cup

Heat the brown rice syrup on the stove on medium heat until it turns to liquid.  Then add in the almond butter and stir until melted.  Add the vanilla and cinnamon in and stir.  Pour the melted mixture all over the rice krispies in a big bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is even spread throughout.  Then add the raisins in and give a few final stirs.

Pour the mixture into a greased (I used safflower oil) 9x9 pan and pat down with a wooden spoon.  Cover and let sit for an hour before eating.  This morning I cut the treats up into 12 portions and wrapped them each separately to bring to work.  Five for me – one for each work day – and I’ll share the others with my husband.  These will definitely not be shared with the pups.  They are like gold.  I’ve also made this recipe countless times with peanut butter and chocolate chips (rather than almond butter, cinnamon and raisins), but not this time because I’m eating cleaner right now and sticking to a more superhero (term from The Kind Diet) way of eating.  I like them equally this way and the other.

Are you a Rice Krispy Treat fan?

4 comments:

  1. It is so nice to see Rice Krispy treats that don't call for marshmallows!! Yay :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones are so delicious too! No need for marshmallows!

      Delete
  2. LOVE rice krispie treats! Have you ever tried Simply Bars? To me they taste like rice krispie bars but with added pea protein :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I will definitely have to try them :)

      Delete