Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Vegan)

Hello!

Last night after a wonderful dinner that consisted of an Amy's Texas Veggie Burger with a slice of daiya provolone melted on top (did you know daiya makes slices?!) and a side monster salad, I wanted dessert.  I wanted a dense cookie with plenty of chocolate.  Enter the Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookie that I adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.


My husband and I decided to leave out the raisins, and instead, add lots of chocolate!  If you haven't tried these chocolates for baking (I like the mini chips a lot too), then I recommend you give them a taste.  The chocolate is dairy, nut, and soy free, and tastes great just out of the bag, which of course I enjoyed that too while the cookies were baking.

I will admit that the Mega Chunk chocolate chips were a bit outrageous in these cookies, but in a wonderful way.  Plenty of chocolate to go with that oatmeal.  I generally try to avoid baking with sugar, but with this recipe, I included it.


Ingredients:

1/3 cup almond milk (I used vanilla flavor)
2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil (I used canola)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cups chocolate chips (or 1/2 cup if you don't love chocolate as much as I do)

  
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 baking sheets.

2.  In a large bowl, mix together milk and ground flax seeds.  Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla and mix until it resembles caramel.

3.  Add in the flour, spices, and salt.  Then fold in the oats and chocolate chips.

4.  Form small balls (about 2 tbsp.) and then flatten the tops.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

5.  Enjoy!  They pair fantastically with a glass of vanilla almond milk.

 
Are you a cookie fan?  What's your favorite?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm ... tough call. Coming through Christmas we had some definite faves - Gingerbread, mocha slices, grasshopper cookies (modified peppermint whoopie pies), and I made a chocolate chip cookie pie with a thick chocolate top-layer. None of it remotely healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That chocolate chip cookie pie sounds incredible! :)

      Delete
  2. Do you use coconut sugar ever? I just bought some to use in place of brown sugar -- it's amazing. I bet it'd play nice in these delicious sounding cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you know my answer to your question ;) I am THE cookie monster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oatmeal chocolate chip are definitely one of my favorite types of cookies - so yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete