Monday, August 25, 2014

Life at Home, Breastfeeding & Introducing a Bottle

Hey hey hey!


Today was Sage's two week old checkup at the doctor.  We were so happy to learn that he has surpassed his birth weight by six ounces.  Feeding him every one to three hours (and on demand) has paid off and it's incredibly rewarding for me.  

I have been waking Sage up every two to three hours day and night to feed because I had been told to do this for the first two weeks, but the doctor told us today that we can now let him sleep as much as he wants throughout the night.  He generally wakes himself up by the three hour mark, but we'll see what tonight brings!  I still plan on feeding every two hours or so during the day in the hopes that this helps him acclimate between day and night.


This brings me to the next thing on the agenda which is introducing a bottle.  That means I need to start pumping.  I only want to introduce a bottle a day so that my husband can help with an evening feeding, and it would be nice to have this backup feeding option.  I need to do some research on how much we should be giving Sage in the bottle at a feeding.  I'm happy to hear any advice you may have.

I feel like I'm starting to get into a groove with being home each day with baby Sage.  I'm used to working full time so it's definitely a change, but such a gift to be able to spend all this time with him.  This afternoon I tried out the Moby Wrap for the first time.  Thank goodness for YouTube tutorials because I don't think I could have figured that one out on my own.


  Also, we went through our stash of newborn disposable diapers quicker than I anticipated (clearly I had no idea the large number of diapers we would be changing each day) so I've started washing our Bum Genius cloth diapers to see if they will fit Sage yet.  If not, we will have to buy some more disposables, but it's worth a try.


Lastly, yesterday I made a strawberry rhubarb crumb pie.  All vegan, crazy delicious.  We only had a cups worth of rhubarb from our garden, so the pie is heavy on strawberries. Turns out we decided it's better that way.  The next vegan pie I want to tackle is coconut cream.  I'll be sure to share that one.


That about sums up my day.  Hope you're having a good one!

Let me know any tips you may have on introducing a bottle!

2 comments:

  1. Sage is 2 weeks old already? Geesh, where does the time go? He's looking cuter by the day xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled across my blog and so happy I did! Your little one is all kinds of adorable - congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete