Monday, November 3, 2014

Smoothie Week: Comforting Butternut Squash-Apple Smoothie

Hey!

Today, I am sharing a smoothie with you perfect for the month of November.  I was going to call it a Thanksgiving Smoothie because it's festive and tastes like something that would be fitting for Thanksgiving morning.


Last week Williams-Sonoma reached out to me to share a smoothie for their Smoothie Week.  Sounded fantastic to me!  I was asked to talk about a weird ingredient I use.  That got me thinking.  To me, including vegetables in smoothies is no big deal, but it really might not sound appetizing to someone else.  What's my odd ingredient?  For this smoothie, it's butternut squash.  Especially if you're sick of pumpkin at this point in the season, butternut squash is an awesome alternative.  And I promise it tastes fantastic.  




I typically don't crave smoothies when the weather turns cold, but this year is different because I've been making smoothies with what I consider to be fall comfort foods like butternut squash and apples.  It makes a smoothie much more appealing on a chilly day.  Plus, they are filling and delicious. 

So plan a meal that involves roasting a butternut squash in the oven the night before, so you then have just a half cup of leftovers for your morning smoothie.  

Since having baby Sage, I have had a smoothie close to everyday.  They are easy and nutritious and they keep me energized in the morning.  I need that while taking care of my baby boy.


Little dude LOVES blankets as much as his mama loves smoothies.  



I use my blender daily.  It's a KitchenAid blender that we got for our wedding a few years ago and it's a powerhouse.  In fact I never use my food processor, just my blender for everything.  It's a piece in my kitchen I could not live without.  Need a blender, or maybe just a better blender?  Just sing..."All I want for Christmas [or insert your holiday of choice here] is a new blender..."  Check out these blenders if you're in need or know someone who is.

Onto the smoothie recipe!


Comforting Butternut Squash-Apple Smoothie

Add to the blender:

1 cup vanilla almond milk
1 apple (peeled and chopped)
1/2 cup roasted butternut squash (mashed for measuring)
1 tbsp. oats (I used quick oats)
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1/2 tsp. cinnamon 
1 tbsp. maple syrup (or more if you like it sweeter)
8 ice cubes (if you like it nice and chilled!)

Blend until smooth.  Drink.  Feel like a superhero before the day has even begun!



What do you think of using vegetables in smoothies?

Would you try this smoothie?

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually all for vegetables in smoothies. I've made a very similar one to this, but replaced the butternut squash with sweet potato. I've also added carrots to my smoothie before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds super! And OMG Sage is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I put spinach in EVERY smoothie I make but never tried squash - need to try this and sweet potatoes as we have FRESH organic sweet potatoes straight from my parent's garden!

    ReplyDelete