Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year + Going Back to Work as a New Mom

Happy New Year!

There is something so refreshing about a new year.  So much happens over the course of a year and January is always kind by giving us a fresh start, and also being that it is my birthday month.  This month also marks my two year blogging anniversary.  That's pretty cool.

We kept it low key last night.  I got out of work early.  My husband, Sage and I went to Chipotle for dinner thanks to Christmas giftcards.  I made dark chocolate cupcakes with a buttercream frosting, but I was out of earth balance shortening so the frosting was not nearly as tasty as it usually is.  Oh well!  The cake still rocked.  Sage went to bed early, but then rung in the New Year with us by waking up at 11:40pm.  I swear he just wanted to celebrate because soon after he was back to sleep.




2014 went by so fast when I replay it in my mind.  I know it seems that way each year, but 2014 was all about pregnancy and then Sage was here and time flew even faster, and before I knew it, it was December 29th.  Time to return to work after my 20 weeks off.  I went back to work on Monday!  Yup, I popped out of bed at 6:15AM and put on my big girl work outfit, did my makeup and hair, gave my baby boy lots of kisses, packed up food for my empty desk I was returning to, and headed out the door.  

Glimpse of my desk at work

 It was strange getting on the road to work after being home on maternity leave for 20 weeks.  I let myself cry on Sunday and I basically felt like a mess, but come Monday morning, I felt much more put together.  And it wasn't so bad.  Yes, I missed by sweet boy like crazy, but it also felt rather amazing to put myself together and go out into the world.  And it was really nice to see my coworkers and friends at the firm.  This week is a bit easier because my husband is still home on vacation, so he is watching Sage.  Daddy and son bonding time.  However, next week Sage starts at the sitter's and that's tougher.  I feel really good about our sitter and I'm excited for Sage to spend time with her kids, but it's still hard.  I miss seeing all he does each day and watching him learn and grow.


I can't wait to give him hugs as soon as I walk in the door after work.  He's such a happy boy that I know he's having a wonderful time home with daddy.  He looks at me like, "Oh hey, mom.  There you are.  How was your day?".  We only get to spend a little bit of time together at night because basically within an hour of my getting home it's time for bath and then bed for baby boy.  I know eventually he'll stay up a little later though and we'll get more time together.  I also get a little time with Sage in the morning before I rush out the door.  Next week I'll drive him to the sitter before work.

This is only my first week back so of course it's still hard and probably always will be.  It brings priorities into focus though.  My house is not perfectly clean and I expect that it never will be.  There will always be laundry and dishes, and that's just the way it goes.  I will prepare meals with leftovers on the weekend making dinners simple during the weeknights and Chipotle will be a weekly occurrence (not complaining about that!) because when I walk in the door after work, all I want to do is spend time with my family.

I don't really have a New Year's resolution.  I eat plant-based, whole foods all year long and I run when I get the chance.  I don't have any set in stone goals for races this year, but want to ease back into running naturally.  For 2015, family is the focus.  2014 gave me the gift of my sweet boy.  The greatest gift I could have ever asked for.      

I'm a full-time working mom.  Life is crazy busy and I know it's not always going to be easy keeping everything in order, but we'll do our best.  And in doing so, we will give our sweet boy all the love in the world.   

What is something you're looking forward to in 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment