Sunday, August 31, 2014

The New Me (Postpartum)

Hey!

Sage was getting fussy so I tried putting him in the Moby Wrap and he settled right down.  This is the first time I had a big success with the wrap and I think it's because Sage was already really tired.  He cried for a minute then snuggled up against me and fell asleep.  Time to do a post.  Here I go!


Just three weeks ago I was still pregnant with baby boy.  Over the course of 40 weeks my body changed before my eyes and I embraced my growing midsection.  And then, like magic, I have my body back and baby Sage in my arms.

Of course my body has changed though.  My midsection has shrunk down significantly over the past few weeks, but it's still softer than it used to be.  I've got a little extra cushion on my belly and hips.  The same way that I embraced my pregnant body, I plan to do the same with my postpartum body.  


I have no plans of stepping on a scale.  I know I'll get weighed at my six week doctor appointment.  A number doesn't interest me.  Yes, I'd like to fit into my regular clothes by the time I go back to work after my maternity leave, but that doesn't mean I expect my body to ever be exactly the same as it was.


I'm so proud of the work my body did and I want to honor that.  Therefore, I take a lot of care with the food I eat.  Whole food. Plant-based food.  Grains, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, and organic as much as possible.  I'm home all day with Sage so having the house stocked with all these good eats is really important to me.  This interest in clean eating isn't something new since getting pregnant and having a baby, but it means more to me now.  I want to provide the best nutrition possible for Sage and when he's old enough to notice I want to set a good example.


Am I different from the woman that I was last November before I found out I was pregnant?  Of course!  I don't think you can go through the experience of having a child and not be changed by it.  I'm still me though.  The same woman with a passion for a healthy life filled with love and happiness, only now I'm more inspired because I'm a role model for my boy.  


I'll never be the quite the same and for that I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment