Sunday, August 23, 2015

Mean Green Juice + Weekend Fun

Hello!



It's been a very good weekend.  We got a lot accomplished and had a bunch of fun.  Got the yard mowed, laundry done, kitchen cleaned (after being durtied numerous times), lots of food bought, meals cooked and lunches prepared for the week.  Most importantly there was lots of quality time with Sage.  

We played outside and Sage practiced walking all around the driveway.  We went to Trader Joe's and Sage consumed an entire peach.  That was a site seeing my one year old figure that out.  So stinking cute even if he was a huge mess.  On Saturday night we went out for a family dinner for Thai food.  Sage provided the entertainment.  I also got in a 2.5 mile run earlier in the day so I was ready for some good eats.  Jax got more baths than we can count and finally we think the skunk smell is just about gone.  Jax spent lots of time outside and we were having him sleep in our foyer because we didn't want him in our bedroom.  Poor guy had a rough week.  In the (almost) six years I've had Jax he's never gotten sprayed by a skunk and I sure hope it never happens again.

I whipped up a storm in the kitchen this weekend.  Breakfast shakes, quesadillas, sesame tofu and sauteed kale, cumin lime black bean salad, chocolate chip cookies.  I'll have to share the cookie recipe soon.  I used coconut sugar and tons of chocolate chips.  



I made Mean Green Juice earlier today and as promised I'm sharing the recipe.  I took a break from juicing for a while for no particular reason.  I just got back into it and I'm loving it.  Juicing is fun and so tasty!  I'm trying to get Sage into it too so that definitely inspired me to jump back in.  Here is the recipe for Mean Green Juice which I took from Joe Cross (you may have heard to the documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead - this juice essentially saved his life).  I used to be intimated by juicing but then I got a juicer (Target, on sale for $40) and it's truly no big deal.  After I made juice the first time I was shocked at how easy it was.  It makes you feel really awesome because of all the vitamins and nutrients that go straight to your system. 

So, here's my adapted version of the recipe:
1 cucumber
4 celery stalks
3 apples
2 kale leaves
1 lemon
2 in piece of ginger

Basically chop up the produce so it looks like this and put it through your juicer.  I like to use produce thats been stored in the fridge because I like my juice cold, but that's just me.  I posted a super quick video of my prepping for juicing on my Facebook page.  I swear my videos going forward will be much better.


How was your weekend?

Are you into juicing?

3 comments:

  1. I finally dug my juicer out this weekend when cleaning up my pantry -- definitely some juice in my future! I love how I feel when I get a glass or two of green juice each day, but I don't love the taste of celery, cucumber, and greens quite yet. Do you ever use greens other than kale? I have thyroid problems, so I'm not supposed to eat it raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been using any greens other than kale, but I should! I have to add a bunch of apple to my juice so it is sweeter. I've heard sweet potato, apple, ginger makes a delcious juice. I need to experiment more with different juices. Sorry I'm not more help. Best of luck with your thyroid problems! :)

      Delete
  2. A month ago I headed off to my neighborhood Organic Market and they let me know that Green supplements were most likely the best, so I purchased it. I truly had no clue which one to try for.

    ReplyDelete